You must be logged in to view this page.
Michael has over 25 years in the technology industry and is known for unlocking profit by transforming quality into a strategic differentiator. His expertise as problem decoder was honed during a decade in Japan where he was a key driver of what became a dramatic turnaround. A domestic Japan auto customer perceived his firm’s audio products to be of lower quality, risky and foreign, demanding third party inspection. By diplomatically bridging the customer’s expectations and the design and manufacturing team capability, he helped his firm to become a long-term trusted partner with high quality products delivered direct-to-line. In Silicon Valley in various quality and engineering leadership roles, Michael has helped fast-paced, innovation-centric technology companies ensure that the right products were built right. Quality improvements reduced on-going warranty by millions and retained many critical accounts, and even more powerfully, by applying quality tools to areas like strategic planning and product management, he has helped firms to direct critical resources on unmet customer needs, tapping into tens of millions in market opportunity.
Area of Expertise
- Lean Six Sigma Implementation
- Voice of Customer, Process and Product
- Quality Problem Solving with 8D, 5 why
- Change Management & Communication
- Strategy Development & Execution
- Leadership Development & Training
- Sample of organizations served: Florida Power & Light, Bose Corporation, AlliedSignal, Quantum Corporation, Juniper Networks, Extreme Networks, LeapFrog Enterprises and Symmetricom.
- Internal and external consultant, line and staff management for firms ranging from $220m~$14b in revenue.
- Head of quality for 3 Silicon Valley technology firms, reporting to CEO, COO, EVP.
- Reduced warranty accrual for returns by up to 0.5~1.2% of revenue.
- Restructured product life cycle for standardization across divisions improving cross training and project flexibility. Owned NPI team leadership.
- Facilitated a revision of operating software development system methods, reducing the bug escape rate.
- Managed corporate strategy execution and project management office.
- Achieved ISO 9001 and TL 9000 certifications on time and budget. AS 9100, 16949 upgrades and improvement experience.
- Senior Member of the American Society of Quality, past speaker a Silicon Valley Best Practices Conference.
- Early contributor to the Center for Quality of Management, twice sponsor for Silicon Valley – West Coast Chapter.
- The second non-Japanese attainment of Japanese Union of Scientists and Engineers’ TQC Suishin Tantosha certification.
- Quality team member in first Deming Prize for Overseas Companies award winner.
- Professional Training: 6σ Executive Sponsor (Six Sigma Academy), 6σ Green Belt (Fuller-Jones), Concept Engineering, (CQM), TQC推進担当者(日化技連)TQC Dissemination Lead (JUSE), TL 9000 Lead Auditor (SAI-Global), Team Performance, Strategic Visioning, Graphic Facilitation, Mastery of Facilitation (The Grove Consultants International)
- MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management (AZ), (International Finance & Trade, Japanese)
- BA, The University of Notre Dame du lac (IN), (Government & International Relations, Japanese)