You must be logged in to view this page.
Doug has over 30 years of experience delivering consulting and senior leadership to logistics and transportation companies. Doug’s ideas and improvement strategies have been published in several of the leading trade magazines. He has been interviewed as the leading expert in transportation profit improvement using Kaizen and Lean principles. As a logistics firm turn-around specialist, his leadership efforts have avoided carrier bankruptcies and closings. His ability to unite multiple departments within an organization have significantly improved the communication and removed internal silos. His primary focus is on leadership training, employee development, the improvement of net income, operating efficiencies, asset utilization, cost control and revenue generation.
Area of Expertise
- Transportation Profit Improvement / Cost Reduction Planning & Implementation
- Operating Efficiencies & Process Improvement
- Creator of the Progressive Improvement Program – a customized continuous improvement program designed for the logistics, transportation & trucking industry
- Time Management & Waste Removal
- KPI & Metric Development
- Root Cause Analysis & Innovative Solutions
- Revenue Growth
- Leadership & Employee Development
- P&L Management
- Kaizen & Lean
- Route Optimization
- 3rd Party Carrier Management
- Vice President of Transportation, Logistics, Maintenance & Customer Service for a Billion-dollar Transportation, Fuel Supply & Distribution Company.
- Vice President of Operations for a $350 million Truckload Carrier.
- National Director of Transportation for a Private Fleet in the Metals Recycling Industry driving $6 million in annual cost savings year over year.
- Director of Operations for a $300 million LTL Carrier.
- Director of Operations & Sales for a $175 million LTL Carrier.
- Past Member – Board of Advisors for a Truckload Carrier.
- Past Member – Corporate Operations Council for a $300 Million LTL Carrier.
- Project Assignment …$500 million Metals Recycling Company & Private Fleet Carrier with corporate negative earnings. Decreased fleet operating expenses $500,000/month in the North region for an annualized cost reduction of $6M. Improved North region profitability $3.6M the 1st year. In the Midwest region, decreased transportation expenses $138,700/month for a 41% improvement. Improved Midwest cost/mile $1.51 and monthly profitability $88,600.
- Project Assignment….$200 million LTL and TL carrier with severe negative earnings since 2005. Focus areas included restructuring and developing new operating procedures for sales and operations. Analyzed P&L results and immediately discovered a strategy to improve EBITDA by $623,000. Turn-around strategy included a 15 step plan to boost profits, decrease variable & fixed expenses, increase top line revenues, KPI – metric development and improve operating efficiencies.
- Project Assignment. Brought in to identify root causes that led to a $1 million loss for a local, regional & national truckload carrier specializing in dedicated carriage, hazardous material and chemical & food grade transportation.
Highlights of the turn–around included:
- Negotiated $8 million, 60 new tractor, full-service lease agreement.
- Lowered total fleet tractor cost/mile from $.27/mile down to $.15/mile. Annualized savings of $1.1 million.
- Identified under-utilized trailer assets reducing rent expenses by over $353,000/year.
- Developed, then implemented 6 targeted Key Performance Indicators (KPI) to measure sales performance, operating efficiencies, vehicle maintenance and service quality.
- Designed Restructuring Plan to merge facilities, reduce headcount, upgrade talent and decrease overhead expenses within a multi-terminal network (MI,OH,IL,WI,PA,WV). (Savings $500,000+)
- Implemented new Safety Programs including an Accident & Cargo Claim Task Force, 24/7 Driver Hot Line, Driver-Safety Meeting Format and Injury Prevention Task Force.
- Improved customer on-time transit service from 96.3% to 99.0% (best recorded service to date).
- Project Assignment….… Local Expedited LTL & TL carrier. Developed a plan to expand operations into a regional/national network carrier. Reduced fuel expenses by 12%. Secured new National Account business resulting in 173% revenue increase. Improved route efficiencies. Designed a Sales Training program for new sales reps. Improved Operating Ratio 10 points after 3 months.
Miscellaneous Carrier Achievements:
- Improved Pick-up & Delivery (P&D) labor production 15% using Lean strategies.
- Improved Dock labor production 28% by analyzing data to remove waste.
- Improved Cargo Claim Ratio 56% resulting in a $500,000 profit improvement.
- Improved Customer On-Time Transit Service 12% and Guaranteed Delivery Service 7%.
- Improved Weights & Inspection revenue goal from zero facilities achieving goal to every facility making goal (167% of goal) resulting in an additional revenue stream of $770,000/year.
- Reduced payroll expenses by over $1 Million by improving efficiencies.
- Mentored the Facility Director resulting in a complete turnaround in the operating performance of the terminal and achieving goal in all nine metric categories. Facility Director became one of the company’s premier managers leading to a relocation promotion.
- Successfully introduced and deployed multiple software applications and supply chain network redesigns.
- Designed new route optimization plan to reduce miles, labor hours, fuel usage and variable cost.
- Created new metric evaluation system to measure strategic objectives for operations.
- Exceeded expectations by achieving goal in all nine individual metric categories as a region.
- Negotiated bid proposals involving customers, external Agents and internal Sales & Pricing.
- Turned failing $175 million multiple location region into a profit center in less than one year.
- Increased driver headcount by 45% while reducing driver turnover throughout the company to less than 10%.
- Increased asset utilization 28%.
- With only two weeks to prepare, built an operating plan to service 23% revenue growth.
- Lowered YTD Repair & Maintenance real dollar expenses while increasing delivered gallons 34%.
- Implemented a Sales & Operations roundtable forum to improve communication and service.
Education & National Recognition
- S. – Pre-Law / Political Science – State University of New York at Albany
- Published Article: Transport Topics. “LTL’s Can Profit Even in a Poor Economy” (circulation 125,000 trucking & logistics professionals)
- Published Article: Transport Topics. “Improving Carrier Profits”
- Interviewed: Fleet Owner Magazine. Perspective on root causes leading to YRC’s negative profit results and what can be done to save them from closing. (Nation’s 4th Largest For-Hire Carrier with $4.8 Billion in sales)
- Interviewed: Maritime Executive Magazine. Viewpoints regarding the use of domestic waterways as a mode of transportation vs. traditional ground transportation.